Easy Sausage and Peppers Recipe
The View From the Great Island
This easy sausage and peppers recipe is pure Italian comfort food, and it comes together into a satisfying family meal in about an hour.
serves 4 hungry people
- sausage and peppers
- 1 package uncooked Italian sausage, hot or mild (5 or 6)
- olive oil ((divided))
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 3 large colorful bell peppers, halved and sliced
- 1 large jar (about 23 ounces) tomato or pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp mixed dried Italian herbs, i.e. thyme, basil, sage, marjoram, oregano, etc.
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 2 tbsp butter
- 0.5 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- shredded Parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350F
- Brush the sausages with a little olive oil, and poke them in a few places with the tip of a sharp knife. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the sausages for about 3 minutes on each side. Alternatively you can use a grill pan if you want nice grill marks on your sausage like I did. Set the sausages aside on a plate.
- Add a little more olive oil to the skillet along with the onions. Saute, stirring often, for a few minutes, then add the peppers. Stir fry for a few minutes until the peppers have softened but are still firm.
- Add the jar of tomato sauce, plus a good amount of the mixed dried herbs, at least a tablespoon. Season with salt and pepper, and give everything a good stir. Add the sausages back into the pan, nestling them down into the sauce. Bring the pan up to a simmer.
- Cover the skillet and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling throughout and the sausages are cooked through.
- Make the polenta during the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Heat the water and salt to a boil in a saucepan and sprinkle in the cornmeal, while whisking. Cook, stirring or whisking constantly, for about 5 minutes. Be careful, the polenta will sputter, so turn the heat down.
- Stir in the butter, cheese, and black pepper, mix well, and spoon into serving bowls or plates. Top with the sausage and peppers. Garnish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. I guarantee you won't hear any complaints ;)