Easy Weeknight Seafood and Vegetable Paella
Treat yourself to a nice weeknight dinner with this Seafood and Vegetable Paella recipe. This dish has so much incredible flavor and is surprisingly easy to make.
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups chopped leeks ((1 small leek), chopped and rinsed)
- 2 cups chicken or fish stock ((I used sodium free chicken stock))
- 3 cups water ((see note below))
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 0.5 teaspoon hot pepper flakes ((or to taste))
- 1 tablespoon salt ((or less to taste))
- zest of lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley (, stems removed (plus more for garnish))
- 1 red bell pepper (, sliced into rings)
- 1 lb asparagus (, end removed and chopped into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 cup peas (, fresh or frozen)
- 1-1.5 lb seafood mix (, frozen or thawed (see note below)**)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottom pot, and add the diced leeks. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the rice, chicken/fish stock, and 3 cups of water.
- Add the hot pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, and turmeric. Add 1/2 tablespoon salt and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is almost done. After 15 minutes of cooking there should be just a bit of liquid remaining, and it would get cooked down in the next three steps. If the liquid gets absorbed too early, add a bit more water, a half a cup at a time.
- Carefully taste the paella broth and see if you need more salt (don't burn your mouth!). If you need more salt, gradually add more (up to a tablespoon total) until it is to your liking.
- After the rice has been cooking for 15 minutes (when it is just about done), add the vegetables - bell peppers, asparagus, and peas. Stir them into the paella and cook for 3 minutes. At this point, look at how much liquid you have and turn up the heat if it looks like too much liquid.
- Stir in the seafood mix, making sure to cover all the seafood in the saucy paella completely. If your seafood is thawed, continue to cook for about 3 minutes, or until it is fully cooked. If your seafood is frozen, cook for about 5 minutes, or until everything is fully cooked. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh chopped parsley to serve.