Spring Green Risotto with Peas, Asparagus and Fennel
The View From the Great Island
Spring Green Risotto with Peas, Asparagus and Fennel ~ this healthy risotto recipe with fresh spring vegetables will have you dreaming of spring!
- 1 cup fresh shelled garden peas
- 1 lb baby asparagus (trimmed)
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- ½ cup parsley (chopped)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil ((divided))
- 1 large shallot (minced)
- ½ white onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small head of fennel (thinly sliced)
- 1 heaping cup arborio rice
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 48 oz chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 lemon (juice )
- ½ cup good quality Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and immerse the asparagus and the garden peas for 30 seconds. Drain and immediately plunge the vegetables into ice water. Let cool in the ice water, and then drain. Chop the asparagus into one inch pieces.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the thawed peas, and parsley until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the broth in a saucepan on the stove and leave it on very low heat as you begin the risotto.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large heavy pan. Saute the shallot, onion, garlic, and fennel for about 5 minutes, until the fennel is crisp tender.
- Add the rice and stir as you cook another minute.
- Add the Sherry to the pot and stir until it is absorbed. You want the heat to be hot enough so that you hear a good sizzle when the Sherry hits the pan. When the Sherry is absorbed, add your first ladle of broth and cook, stirring constantly, until it is absorbed.
- Continue to add the broth, stirring almost constantly, waiting for the liquid to be absorbed before adding more. After about 20 minutes, add the garden peas and asparagus, and continue cooking until the rice is tender and you have used most of the broth. Taste the rice to check if it is tender. If not, keep cooking. If you run low on broth, add a little water to it..
- When the rice is tender, stir in the pea and parsley puree. Continue to stir until it is hot throughout. Add the cheese and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with a little extra cheese.