Eggnog Streusel French Toast Casserole
The View From the Great Island
My Eggnog Streusel French Toast Casserole is a decadent, holiday morning worthy overnight baked French toast that can be assembled the night before.
- 1 and 1/2 pound loaf of challah bread, fresh or day old
- 3 cups eggnog
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 large eggs
- 0.5 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch salt
- streusel topping
- 0.5 cup flour
- 0.5 cup brown sugar
- 0.5 cup pecan halves
- 0.5 cup (4 Tbsp) cold unsalted butter (cut in pieces)
- for SERVING
- maple syrup
- Slice the challah into 1 inch slices, and then cut the slices into 1 inch chunks. That's approximate, don't get out the measuring tape.
- Whisk together the eggnog, half and half, and eggs. Pour over the bread cubes, reserving 1 cup of the liquid for later.
- Toss the bread so it's all coated with liquid. Cover with foil and let sit for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Pulse all the streusel topping ingredients together in a food processor until crumbly.
- Pour the rest of the liquid over the bread, and top with the streusel topping. I like to use my fingers to make larger 'crumbles' out of the mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes, or until cooked throughout.
- Serve hot with butter and maple syrup.