Gingerbread Crumb Cake
The View From the Great Island
Gingerbread Crumb Cake is a super moist spiced coffee cake ~ the perfect way to start a chilly morning, or treat guests for the holidays!
- dry ingredients
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg
- 2.5 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, cold and cut in pieces
- wet ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Apple Butter
- 0.25 cup molasses
- 0.5 cup sour cream
- Set oven to 350F
- Lightly spray a 9x13 baking pan.
- Put all the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitting with the blade attachment. Pulse to combine everything thoroughly.
- Pulse in the butter until it is well distributed and the mixture is crumbly, 30-40 pulses.
- Pour the dry mixture into a large mixing bowl. REMOVE one cup of the mixture and set it aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, apple butter, molasses, and sour cream until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, folding just until everything is thoroughly mixed. Don't over mix.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it. The baking time will vary depending on your pan and your oven.
- Let cool slightly before cutting.