Green Mango-Potato Pulao
A Simple rice dish that is mildly spiced and tastes yummy with the sour mango and potato. I ate it with some raita and some leftover dal for a filling meal.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 mango (Small Raw , cut into thin pieces)
- 1 potato (Small , cut into thin slices)
- 1 onion (Medium , thinly sliced)
- 2 ~ 3 Chilies ((adjust per taste) Green)
- 1 tsp Methi (Kasoori (dry fenugreek leaves))
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ ~ 1 tsps Chili powder (Red)
- 1 cinnamon (" stick)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp (1.25l) fish stock (Shahjeera)
- 1 tsp Kalonji ((onion seeds))
- 2 tbsps cilantro (, finely chopped)
- to taste Salt
- Rinsed, drain and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a pan, add the potato slices and cook till golden brown and tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add cinnamon stick, bay leaf, shahjeera and kalonji; cook for 30~60seconds or until fragrant.
- Next add the onions, green chilies, ginger+garlic paste and kasoori methi. Cook till onions start to turn golden around the edges.
- Add 2cups of water (1:2-rice:water ratio) and salt; bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Add the drained basmati rice, lemon juice and cook for 2~3 minutes.
- Now add the cooked potato and mango slices on top of the rice. Lower the heat, cover the pot and cook for 8~10 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir the rice once or twice, then cover and set aside for at least 5 minutes before serving.
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout