Grilled Japanese Beef and Shishito Pepper Skewers
From a Chef's Kitchen
Japanese Beef and Shishito Pepper Skewers are a quick and easy way to have an Asian-inspired dinner any night of the week!
- 0.5 cup low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 0.5 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons light brown sugar (as needed, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Chili garlic sauce
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin or four 8-ounce steak (cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch pieces)
- 20-24 shishito peppers
- canola oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Whisk soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and ginger together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat to dissolve the sugar and cook the ginger. Add the chili garlic sauce. Keep warm.
- Starting with a shishito pepper, thread the peppers and beef onto skewers, alternating them.
- Brush the skewers with oil and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill 4-5 minutes per side or to medium-rare / medium.
- Transfer the skewers to a platter. Drizzle with the sauce and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve remaining sauce on the side.