Guinness Battered Onion Rings
The View From the Great Island
These Guinness Battered Onion Rings with a spicy curried mayo dip are the ultimate appetizer, these rings are gutsy and satisfying, no meal required!
- vegetable oil for frying
- 4 onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 cups flour
- 1 pint Guinness Stout
- 0.5 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 0.5 tsp cayenne powder
- 0.5 tsp Turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put about 6 inches of oil in a medium sized pot and heat until the temperature reaches 350F
- Put the flour in a bowl and whisk in enough Guinness to make a mixture similar to a thick pancake batter.
- When the oil has reached 350F, work in batches and dip the onion rings into the batter, and then into the oil. Fry, flipping them once or twice, for about 2 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels. You can keep the rings warm in a low oven if you like, while you finish the rest.
- Stir the sauce ingredients together and taste to adjust any of them. Set aside until needed.
- Serve the onion rings piping hot, with the sauce.