Hatch Green Chile Cornbread
The View From the Great Island
This moist and tender Hatch Green Chile Cornbread has an irresistible combination of sweet and heat --- it goes with all your soups, stews, and chilis!
- dry ingredients
- i cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 cup packed brown sugar
- wet ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 cup buttermilk
- 1 stick, 1/2 cup, unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup chopped roasted Hatch Chiles (hot, mild, or a mix) plus a few more for sprinkling on top
- Set oven to 400F
- Lightly butter a 9 or 10 inch tart pan, or round cake pan
- Whisk the dry ingredients together, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and cooled butter together. Stir in the chiles.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing just until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Top with a few extra chopped chiles.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until risen, browned along the edges, and done in the center. You can check with a toothpick. Cool on a rack or serve hot from the pan.