Healthy Caramel Slice AKA Crack
You Totally Got This
This quick and easy healthy chocolate caramel slice (aka crack) is hands down the most addictive low sugar, vegan friendly sweet treat EVER!
- 4 full size Salada (saltine) biscuits, a total of 16 squares
- 3 tbs of butter or coconut oil if you are vegan
- 2 tbs almond butter
- pinch salt
- 100g g of 85% cacao or above dark chocolate (if you are vegan, double check that it is dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 160C and line a brownie tin with aluminium foil and then baking paper.
- Arrange the Salada biscuits in the bottom of the tin so the entire surface is covered.
- In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil/butter, rice malt syrup and almond butter and whisk until it becomes a caramel colour and thickens (about 3-4 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt. Pour the caramel over the Salada biscuits and bake in the oven for 5 minutes until the caramel starts to bubble again. Meanwhile, roughly cut the chocolate into small pieces and crush the peanuts by placing them in a knotted plastic bag and pounding them with something heavy like a meat tenderiser. Remembering to keep an eye on the oven.
- Remove the tin from the oven and scatter the chocolate pieces over the top of the caramel. Let it sit for 5 minutes and when the chocolate starts to melt, use a spoon or spatula to spread the chocolate over the top of the caramel then sprinkle with peanuts.
- Place the tin in the freezer for 30 minutes or until the chocolate has set. Break into 16 pieces and store in an airtight container in the fridge - if you don’t eat it all first!