Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage
The View From the Great Island
My Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage recipe is an easy way to make your own fabulously fresh sausage right at home ~ it's low fat and super delicious!
makes 10 sausage patties
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 granny Smith apple (or other tart, firm variety) very finely diced
- ½ medium onion, very finely diced
- ¼ cup finely minced fresh sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- olive oil for browning
- Put the ground chicken into the bowl of a stand mixer, breaking it apart as you add it. You can also do all this by hand in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the olive oil, and mix until everything is well combined, and the little chunks of apple and onion are evenly distributed.
- Form the meat mixture into small 1 inch balls. I use a 1 inch scoop to portion out the meat and then roll it in my hands. Place all the balls on a baking sheet and put in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook them.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet and brown the sausage patties for 2 minutes on each side. Then lower the heat, cover the pan, and cook for another 7-10 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through. The internal temperature of the sausage should be 165F.