Lemony Quinoa with Butternut Squash Almonds and Parmesan Cheese
From a Chef's Kitchen
Lemony Quinoa with Butternut Squash, Almonds and Parmesan Cheese is perfect as both a side dish and vegetarian entree!
- 1 medium butternut squash ( (1 - 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 0.5 cup sliced almonds
- 1 small Onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 0.5 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large lemon ( zested and juiced)
- 0.25 cup fresh parsley
- 0.5 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss cubed butternut squash with 2 tablespoon olive oil and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add salt, then add quinoa. Bring back to a boil and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and "germ" is showing. Drain through a fine sieve. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the almonds and lightly toast, 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned in places. Immediately transfer to a small plate so the nuts do not burn.
- In the same nonstick skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often or until onions are golden and tender, approximately 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Return squash and quinoa to the skillet. Add parsley and Parmesan cheese and toss well. Serve immediately.