Meyer Lemon and Dark Chocolate Shortbread
The View From the Great Island
Meyer Lemon and Dark Chocolate Shortbread ~ get ready to pucker up for this buttery confection pairing dark chocolate and tart lemon!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature and cut in pieces
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- juice (3 Tbsp) and zest of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- lemon juice to thin
- Set oven to 325F
- Line an 8x8 square baking pan with foil for easy removal and slicing.
- Put the flour and sugar in the bowl of a mixer and drop in the butter.
- Mix just until the butter has incorportated into the flour and sugar and the mixture has a coarse crumb texture.
- While mixing, add the lemon juice and zest and mix until the dough just comes together.
- Stir in the chocolate chips with a spoon or your hands.
- Press the dough into your pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until slightly puffed and slightly golden (not brown!) The edges will look a little more cooked than the center and the top will be just firm when lightly touched.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing the foil lining.
- Mix together the confectioner's sugar with enough lemon juice to thin it to a glaze consistency. Drizzle or spread over the cooled shortbread.
- When the glaze has firmed up, slice into squares.