Milk Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
The View From the Great Island
These are simply the best chocolate chip cookies ~ it's an easy recipe with the melt in your mouth texture of shortbread!
makes about a dozen large cookies
- 2 sticks, 1 cup, unsalted butter
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2.25 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- set oven to 350F
- Cream the butter and the sugar together. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, a little at a time, until the dough comes together. Fold in the chips just before it all comes into one mass.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and bring it all together with your hands. Form it into a plump disk and then roll it out, flouring your rolling pin as necessary, to about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut cookies with a 3" cookie cutter, pressing down firmly to cut through the chocolate chips. Reform the dough as needed to use it all up.
- Arrange the cookies on a cookie sheet and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the whole tray for at least an hour.
- Bake the cookies for about 20 minutes, give or take, depending on their size. You want them to be every so slightly golden just around the edges, and be slightly firm to the touch. They are forgiving...if you bake them more they will b more crunchy, if you bake them for less time they will be soft and buttery.
- Let them cool for a few minutes on the tray and then transfer to a rack to finish cooling.