Fresh and healthy smoothie recipe with nettle, orange and apple. A great, and dairy-free, source of calcium for vegans and raw eaters.
- 2 cups chopped stinging nettles
- 2 green apples
- 0.25 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 0.5 cup still mineral water
- 10 peppermint leaves
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- First of all, you need to wash and dry the stinging nettles. Young nettle plants are very delicate and usually don't sting but it is better to use thick gloves while handling them to avoid any possibility of being stung. Cut the stems off and place the nettle leaves in a sieve. Gently rub the leaves under running water to remove soil and dust. Dry nettles on a kitchen cloth or use a salad spinner to get rid off the excess water.
- Next, core and cut the apples in chunks.
- Squeeze juice out of an orange and a lemon if you prefer a thinner smoothie. If you love fruit pulp in your smoothie like I do, you can simply peel the citruses, remove occasional seeds and process the orange and lemon slices with white peels.
- Pour the water into the blender jar. Add the apples, nettle and mint leaves, as well as sesame seeds and flaxseed.
- Process until smooth. If the smoothie gets too thick, add some more water to reach a desired texture.