Norwegian Rhubarb and Almond Cake
The View From the Great Island
Norwegian Rhubarb and Almond Cake ~ a delicate breakfast or snack cake that features the unusual combination of tart rhubarb with almond.
- 10 tablespoons (150g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups (200g) all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup (1dl) whole milk or half and half
- 1 and 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups rhubarb (250g) or about 3-5 stalks depending on size), chopped into about 1/2 inch size
- 3 tbsp raw sugar
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Lightly grease an 8 inch springform pan and place a round of parchment paper at the bottom.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer or with electric mixers until light and fluffy. This will take a couple of minutes. Don't skip this step, the creaming incorporates air into the batter that helps the cake bake up light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating the mixture between each addition until they are fully incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and then the milk or half and half, along with the almond extract. Mix until combined.
- Spread the batter into your prepared pan, making sure it is relatively even.
- Scatter the chopped rhubarb over the top of the cake, pressing it in just a little bit.
- Scatter the raw sugar and sliced almonds over the cake
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, until set in the middle, and golden brown on top. Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes before carefully unlatching the pan.