Rainbow Bean Salad with Sweet and Sour Brown Sugar Dressing
The View From the Great Island
Rainbow Bean Salad with Sweet and Sour Dressing ~ a healthy high fiber bean salad for your next potluck table. It's grandma's bean salad ~ but better!
- 1 cup each or approximately 140 grams each:
- canned black beans
- canned garbanzo beans
- canned kidney beans
- canned white navy beans
- edamame beans (thawed from frozen)
- 2 cups or 260 grams assorted colorful bell peppers, cut in small dice
- ⅓ cup or 50 grams sliced black olives
- ⅓ cup or 50 grams very finely diced red onion
- 1 cup or 150 grams small cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ½ jalapeno or serrano pepper (minced)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup sherry vinegar (you can use red wine vinegar if you like)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- good pinch of white pepper
- ½ tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Make sure all your beans are drained and rinsed well to remove any 'canned' flavor. Place all the beans in a large bowl, along with the rest of the salad ingredients.
- To make the dressing, blend the ingredients together with a stick blender or in a small food processor, until emulsified and creamy. Taste to adjust any of the seasonings.
- Toss the salad in enough dressing to thoroughly moisten, you won't use all of it. Refrigerate until ready to serve, and then toss with more dressing.