Raw Nanimo Bars
Nanimo bars got a healthy makeover! These lightened up nutrient dense bars will satisfy your sweet tooth without weighing you down.
- crust ingredients:
- 2 cups dates ((soaked in hot water to soften if hard))
- 2 cups Pecans
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 pinch salt
- custard layer:
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked 4-6 hours to soften and drain)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- chocolate Layer:
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- Prepare an 8x8 baking dish by lining the bottom and up the sides with parchment paper. You want to be able to lift the bars up out of the pan with this parchment paper sling.
- Add all of the crust ingredients to a food processor fitted with the S blade. Process until the mixture is broken down into small pieces and the begins to stick together. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor and stir things around as needed. Press the crust into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Add the filling ingredients to the food processor (after it has been cleaned out) or a high powered blender. Process or blend until the mixture is silky smooth. Pour over the crust layer and spread it out evenly. Transfer to the freezer and allow to set up for 45-60 minutes.
- Once the bars have set, heat all of the chocolate layer ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat until combined. Pour over the bars and quickly spread out the mixture. The chocolate layer should immediately harden since the bars are cold from the freezer. Cut into bars and serve.