Red Quinoa and Black Bean Veggie Burgers
The View From the Great Island
Red Quinoa and Black Bean Veggie Burgers ~ this meatless burger is hearty and full of flavor ~ you won't miss the meat one bit!
- ½ oz package dried shitake mushrooms (or any variety you like)
- ½ red onion (peeled)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper (any color you like)
- 1 cup cooked black beans (canned is fine) (rinsed and well drained )
- ½ cup bread or cracker crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups cooked red quinoa (regular quinoa is fine, too)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion salt
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- olive oil for frying
- chipotle mayo
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 small can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- for SERVING
- whole grain buns
- thinly sliced red onion
- sliced heirloom tomato
- Reconstitute the mushrooms according to the package directions. Drain them and squeeze out excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Give the onion and bell pepper a rough chop and put them in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the stem off the jalapeno, and slice it, seeds and all. Add it to the processor along with the mushrooms. Pulse the machine about 12 times.
- Add the beans and pulse 8 more times. Scrape down the sides of the machine, and pulse another 8 times.
- Add in the crumbs, the egg, the quinoa, the Worcestershire sauce, salts, and pepper. Pulse about 12 times until everything is combined but still has texture.
- Use a 1/2 cup measure to scoop out the mixture and form into burgers. Separate the burgers with waxed paper, and cover with plastic wrap. Put in the refrigerator to chill until needed.
- To cook the burgers, coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil and heat until hot. Fry the burgers for about 7-10 minutes per side, on a medium heat. Flatten the burgers with your spatula if they are on the thick side.
- Make the chipotle mayo by mixing the mayonnaise with the sauce from the chiles, to taste.
- Serve up your burgers with all the traditional fixings.