Roasted Fig Gelato
The View From the Great Island
Roasted Fig Gelato ~ this decadent homemade ice cream is made with fresh figs and mascarpone cheese for a rich and creamy treat.
- 1 lb Black Mission figs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 oz 14 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 oz 8 package of mascarpone cheese (an Italian cream cheese)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brandy
- Lemon juiced
- Set oven to 400F
- Rinse and cut off the stems of the figs. Slice them in half and lay out, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Put the roasted figs into a food processor and puree them until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides of the machine a few times to make sure you get everything thoroughly pureed. Chill the puree.
- Put the cream, sugar, condensed milk, and mascarpone cheese in the food processor or blender. Process until the marscapone is completely blended into the cream. Chill the mixture.
- When everything is really cold, pour the cream mixture into your ice cream machine along with the fig puree. Process until almost finished, and then add in the vinegar, Brandy, and lemon juice. Taste the ice cream to adjust the amounts. Continue to process according to your machine's directions.
- Fold the soft gelato into a container and put it in the freezer for at least several hours to allow it to firm up.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island