Roasted Poblano Corn and Potato Chowder with Bacon and Gouda Cheese
From a Chef's Kitchen
Roasted Poblano Corn and Potato Chowder with Bacon and Gouda Cheese is total comfort in a bowl!
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 large Poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (1 to 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bag (12-ounce) frozen corn kernels, thawed under hot tap water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble when cool. Wipe out the Dutch oven.
- Heat oil and butter over medium-high heat in the Dutch oven. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 7-8 minutes or until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook briefly, approximately 15 seconds.
- Add the flour and cook 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the roasted and peeled peppers, corn and heavy cream and bring back to a simmer. Add Gouda cheese and stir until cheese has melted.
- Add half the bacon, reserving the remainder for garnishing the chowder.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with crumbled bacon.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen