Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale Sprouts
From a Chef's Kitchen
Wrap yourself up in your comfies and dive into this bowl of spicy, hearty goodness! Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale Sprouts. Good for what ails ya!
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package kale sprouts or 1 (10-ounce) package baby kale or shredded kale
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion
- 2 large carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 6 cloves garlic
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 can (28-ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the lentils and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until cooked but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large pot. Add the kale sprouts and saute until wilted. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the sausage and brown well until almost cooked through (will continue to cook in the soup.) Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off half of the fat.
- Add the onion and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the carrot and celery and continue to cook another 5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the garlic, stir briefly, then add the beef broth, tomatoes, herbs and sausage.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes. Add the lentils and kale sprouts and continue to cook until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Turn off the heat and let stand 15 minutes.