Shrimp in Lemon Sauce with Olives
The View From the Great Island
Shrimp in Lemon Sauce with Olives ~ this healthy 30 minute meal will transport you to the Greek Isles with its silky lemon sauce and rich, briny olives.
- 1 lb medium or large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- olive oil ((divided))
- 4 egg yolks
- 0.33333333333333 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (you can use up to 1/2 cup for a super lemony flavor)
- 1 cup chicken or fish stock
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup mixed olives
- fresh thyme leaves
- Whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together until smooth and set aside.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a skillet with olive oil and heat on medium heat until hot. Saute the shrimp for about 4 minutes, turning once, until they are pink and cooked through. Remove to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Heat the stock in a medium saucepan until it comes to a boil. Whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot stock into the egg yolks to temper them. Pour the yolk mixture into the pan slowly, while whisking, and continue to heat on medium, stirring constantly, until the mixture just starts to thicken and comes to a simmer. NOTE: it won't get really thick, it will just get a little thicker and glossier. Once it comes to a simmer take off the heat immediately and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce into a medium casserole or gratin dish and place the shrimp in the sauce. Top with the olives and thyme. Serve immediately with rice, couscous, or crusty bread.