Shrimp Scampi Fra Diavolo
The View From the Great Island
Shrimp Scampi Fra Diavolo ~ this fiery romantic dish can be whipped up in 30 minutes with a bag of frozen shrimp and pantry staples.
- ¾ lb bucatini, spaghetti, or linguine
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lb tail on shrimp, (use cooked or uncooked)
- ½ cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes (more or less to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (cut in chunks)
- more chopped parsley
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, but cook just until tender and al dente, usually a few minutes short of what the instructions tell you. Reserve 1/2 cup of the liquid, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, and saute the garlic for several minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn't brown. If you are using raw shrimp, add them now, and saute for a few minutes until they have turned opaque and start to curl. Be sure to turn them at least once so they cook evenly.
- Add the wine to the pan, along with the lemon juice and chili flakes and let it boil until slightly reduced. If you are using cooked shrimp, add it now, along with the parsley.
- Stir in the butter, a bit at a time. Return the pasta to the pan, and toss well. Add some of the reserved pasta water if you need more sauce.
- Serve hot with extra parsley, and Parmesan cheese, if desired.