Shrimp Pad Thai with Zucchini Noodles
From a Chef's Kitchen
Shrimp pad thai, a classic Thai street food, gets a healthful update here with zucchini noodles!
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 0.25 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 0.25 cup rice vinegar
- 0.25 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons Chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola, vegetable or peanut oil (or as needed) (divided)
- 2-3 medium zucchini (spiralized)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 0.5 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 small carrot (juilienned)
- 0.5 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 bunch scallions ((white and light green part only), thinly sliced diagonally)
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 0.5 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 0.25 cup cilantro
- lime wedges (for serving)
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet, sauté pan or wok. Add the zucchini and cook 2-3 minutes or until beginning to soften slightly. Transfer to a sieve placed above a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon oil to the pan, reduce heat to medium and add the eggs. Cook 1 minute or until set, stirring and breaking up the egg as you work. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add red bell pepper and carrot. Cook 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side or until cooked through and translucent.
- Stir in the sauce. Bring to a simmer. Add scallions, zucchini and egg. Stir until heated through then add bean sprouts.
- Serve immediately garnished with peanuts, cilantro and lime wedges.