Smothered Shrimp with Andouille Sausage and Creamy Parmesan Peppercorn Grits
From a Chef's Kitchen
This rich, decadent New Orleans-inspired Smothered Shrimp and Andouille Sausage with Creamy Parmesan Peppercorn Grits is perfect for your Fat Tuesday!
- shrimp ((peeled and de-veined))
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil ((divided))
- 1 small Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 7 oz cooked Andouille sausage (halved lengthwise and sliced)
- 14½ oz chicken broth
- 15 oz canned diced fire-roasted tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 pound large wild-caught American shrimp ( peeled, deveined and tail removed )
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley plus more for garnish
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup quick grits
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- SHRIMP: Heat butter and oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the green bell pepper and celery. Cook 7 to 8 minutes or until very soft.
- Stir in garlic, flour, Cajun seasoning and cayenne and cook briefly (15 seconds).
- Add sausage, chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until reduced slightly and thickened.
- Stir in shrimp and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until just firm. Stir in heavy cream and heat through. Serve with grits.
- GRITS: Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add salt to taste. Slowly stir in quick grits and cook per package directions. Stir in cheese, cream and black pepper. Serve with shrimp.