Spiced Red Wine Poached Pears with Vanilla Mascarpone Whipped Cream
From a Chef's Kitchen
This sexy holiday dessert will have everyone talking!
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 long strip orange peel
- 1 large orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 firm, ripe pears
- whipped CREAM
- 0.5 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- PEARS: Combine wine, sugar, orange peel, orange juice, cinnamon stick and cloves in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- While poaching liquid is simmering, peel pears, leaving the stem intact and being careful not to bruise the pears. Slice a small amount from the bottom of the pears to create a flat bottom if necessary so the pears stand upright.
- Gently place the pears in the poaching liquid. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes (depending upon size), turning every 5 minutes with a slotted spoon to ensure even color. Pears should be cooked but still firm. Cool at room temperature, turning occasionally to ensure even color.
- When the pears have cooled to room temperature, refrigerate in the liquid at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- To serve: Remove pears from poaching liquid and place on serving plate. Strain poaching liquid and place back in saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until reduced by at least half. Liquid should be slightly syrupy. Let cool to room temperature. Drizzle pears with sauce and serve with Vanilla Mascarpone Whipped Cream.
- WHIPPED CREAM: Combine cream, mascarpone, sugar and vanilla extract in a small, deep bowl. Beat until thick and the consistency of whipped cream, about 5-7 minutes. Serve with pears.