Spicy Lasagna with Sausage Meatballs
The View From the Great Island
Spicy Lasagna with Sausage Meatballs is the perfect thing to have in your freezer for weeknight dinners!
- olive oil ((divided))
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage (I used turkey)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 large handful parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 large jar of your favorite pasta sauce (at least 24 oz)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1 oz 8 package of fresh pasta sheets (you need 5)
- Set oven to 350F
- Heat a large pan on medium heat and drizzle in a little oil oil. Take the sausage meat out of its casing by squeezing small balls of the meat out with your hands. Let them drop into the pan. Cook the sausage until golden brown and cooked through, shaking the pan to make sure the meat gets browned on all sides. Set aside.
- Mix the ricotta, egg and parsley together in a bowl until the egg is thoroughly incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside
- Heat the sauce to a simmer on the stove with the chili flakes and fennel seed.
- Drizzle a little more oil on the bottom of your lasagna pan. Lay one of the pasta sheets down and spoon about a fifth of the ricotta mixture over it. Sprinkle on some mozzarella and then ladle on some of the sauce. Follow with four more pasta sheets, layering them with the cheeses and sauce.
- Finish with a top layer of pasta. Spread it with the last of the ricotta, and then lay your meatballs evenly across the entire top. Drizzle sauce over the meatballs, and then cover with the rest of the mozzarella.
- Cover loosely with non-stick foil, and bake for about an hour, until bubbly and hot throughout.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island