Spicy Shrimp and Grits Casserole with Gouda Cheese
From a Chef's Kitchen
Shrimp and grits are comfort food perfection! Enjoy them together in this easy to make and make-ahead casserole!
- 2 tablespoons butter plus more for baking dish
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light-green part only (chopped)
- ½ large red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded if desired, finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can (10-ounce) diced tomatoes with green chiles (drained)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup quick-cooking grits (not instant)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 12 ounces large shrimp ( peeled, deveined and cooked )
- 2 slices bacon ( cooked and crumbled)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1¼ cups shredded Gouda cheese (divided)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8 x 8 baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat butter over medium-high heat. Add the scallion, red bell pepper and jalapeño pepper. Reduce heat to medium, cook 4-5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Stir in garlic, diced tomatoes with chiles and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Stir continuously until mixture returns to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in shrimp, bacon, egg and 1 cup cheese. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and bubbling. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen