Dinner at the Zoo
These steak fajitas contain tender marinated beef with plenty of colorful peppers and onions, all grilled to flavorful perfection.
- 1½ pounds flank steak
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 bell peppers (thinly sliced, can use red, orange, yellow or a combination of colors)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, salsa etc for serving
- Place the olive oil, lime juice, sugar, salt, cumin, garlic, water, smoked paprika, onion powder and chili powder in a gallon sized resealable bag or large bowl.
- Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the steak, onions and peppers to the marinade. Chill for at least 1 hour, or up to 6 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill, grill pan, or skillet to medium high heat.
- Add the steak and cook for 5-6 minutes per side for medium doneness. Remove from grill and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the peppers and onions in the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Season with salt to taste.
- Slice the steak thinly across the grain. Arrange the steak over the peppers and onions. Sprinkle with cilantro, then serve.
View the recipe instructions at Dinner at the Zoo