Sweet Corn and Sun-Dried Tomato Chowder with Goat Cheese and Chive Croutons
From a Chef's Kitchen
Sweet Corn and Sundried Tomato Chowder with Goat Cheese and Chive Croutons is a lovely summer soup and can be served hot or cold!
- ¾ cup sun-dried tomato halves (about 10)
- 4 ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- zest of one large lemon (divided)
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces goat cheese (softened)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 sourdough baguette, cut diagonally into 12 slices
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and immerse the sun-dried tomatoes in the water. Set aside.
- Scrape the kernels from the corn cobs using a serrated knife. (You should have 2 generous cups.) Reserve cobs.
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until softened. Stir in the garlic, cumin, turmeric and 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Cook 1 more minute. Add the wine, stirring to scrape the bottom of the pan. Add chicken broth, corn and reserved corn cobs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 12 minutes. Remove cobs with tongs and discard. Allow to cool slightly.
- Working in batches, carefully transfer soup to a food processor or blender and process until almost smooth. Drain and chop the sun-dried tomatoes; add to soup.
- Place sour cream in a small bowl. Add 1 cup of hot soup to sour cream and whisk to combine, then stir mixture into soup. Stir in chopped fresh basil. Keep warm.
- Preheat broiler. Combine softened goat cheese, chives and remaining lemon zest in a small bowl. Spread onto sourdough slices. Place under the broiler for 5 to 6 minutes or until the goat cheese lightly browns.
- Garnish each bowl with thinly sliced fresh basil. Serve croutons with soup.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen