Tabouli with Fresh Jalapeno
From a Chef's Kitchen
With loads of fresh herbs, crunchy vegetables and a lively lemon dressing and jalapeno, this tabouli (tabbouleh) is perfect all summer long.
- 1⅓ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more as needed
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 4 large plum tomatoes,
- 2 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 1 large English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green part only (finely chopped)
- 1 small bunch parsley (finely chopped)
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice or to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring 1 1/3 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the salt and bulgur wheat and stir. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer to a bowl and let cool thoroughly.
- Add the tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, cucumber, scallions, parsley, mint and garlic and stir.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. Drizzle over the salad and stir. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add additional lemon juice if desired.
- To make ahead, prepare up to the point of adding the dressing. Refrigerate the salad and dressing. Add dressing when ready to serve.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen