Turkish Coffee Shortbread Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Buttery and delicious Turkish Coffee Shortbread Cookies with a combination of strong coffee and warm cardamom flavors ~ these are cookies to linger over!
makes about 4 dozen cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 0.66666666666667 cup sugar
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 2.25 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp finely ground coffee (espresso or french roast) Use less for a more subtle effect.
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom, use less for a more subtle effect.
- chocolate coating
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Set oven to 350F
- Put the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and add the butter and salt. Mix together until combined. It doesn't have to be completely smooth.
- Mix in the flour, cardamom, and ground coffee until the dough just comes together.
- Pull the dough together with your hands and set on a floured surface. Roll out to about 1/4 inch.
- Cut out the cookies using your preferred cookie cutter, I used a 2" round.
- Transfer the cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To make the chocolate coating, put the chocolate and vegetable oil in a small Pyrex measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir until melted.
- Dip half of each cooled cookie in the chocolate, and let the excess drip off. Set the cookies down on parchment paper to harden.