Vibrant Winter Slaw with Citrus Vinaigrette
The View From the Great Island
Vibrant Winter Slaw with Citrus Vinaigrette ~ a healthy low calorie side dish salad packed with vitamins, minerals, and lots of fiber.
- 1 loosely packed cup of shredded red beets
- 1 loosely packed cup of shredded golden beets
- 1 loosely packed cup of shredded Chioggia (pink) beets
- 1 loosely packed cup of shredded fennel
- ½ loosely packed cup of shredded kohlrabi
- 1 loosely packed cup of shredded carrots
- 1 loosely packed cup of shredded kale
- 1 loosely packed cup of shredded red cabbage
- 1 loosely packed cup of shredded green cabbage (Savoy or Napa)
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange or tangerine juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp orange blossom vinegar (or other mild white vinegar like Champagne)
- 1 tsp creamy dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Make the dressing first. I like to put all the ingredients in a mason jar, screw the lid on tight, and shake shake SHAKE! The shaking will emulsify the dressing, making it creamy. Once emulsified, it shouldn't separate into oil and vinegar. Taste to adjust any of the ingredients to your liking.
- Toss the shredded veggies together in a large bowl and add enough dressing to moisten. You can refrigerate the slaw several hours before serving if you'd like. Season with salt and pepper and add more dressing to taste just before serving.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island