Zucchini Latkes with Maple Cranberry Sauce
The View From the Great Island
Zucchini Latkes with Maple Cranberry Sauce is a colorful twist on a beloved Passover and Hanukkah tradition! Serve these delicate zucchini fritters for breakfast, or as a side dish, with plenty of tart maple cranberry sauce nearby.
- 2 medium slender zucchini
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour or breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp onion salt
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg
- olive oil for frying
- maple cranberry sauce
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 0.5 cup maple syrup
- 0.5 cup water
- Grate the zucchini. Wrap it in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze tightly to remove as much moisture as you can.
- Put the zucchini in a mixing bowl with the flour or breadcrumbs, onion salt, and pepper and give it a quick mix with a fork.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet or medium high heat. Scoop tablespoon sized portions of the mixture into the pan and flatten with the back of the spoon. Let them fry for about 2 minutes on each side, until they are browned and crispy. Add more oil as necessary to finish the batch. Remove the cooked latkes to a cooling rack to drain.
- Serve them hot with the maple cranberry sauce on the side.
- To make the sauce, bring the cranberries, syrup, and water to a boil in a saucepan. Boil for 15 minutes, then let cool and serve or refrigerate.