The View From the Great Island
Zucchini Pie is garden fresh zucchini layered in a shortbread crust, topped with a layer of bubbling cheese and a sprinkle of Ritz cracker crumbs --- yum!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 sweet onion
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 1 cup sharp cheese such as cheddar, Gouda,
- a sprinkle of Ritz cracker crumbs
- black pepper
- fresh thyme leaves
- Set oven to 350F
- To make the crust toss the flour with the sugar, cornstarch and salt and then drizzle in the melted butter until the mixture becomes crumbly. Make sure all the flour gets moistened. Pat the crust into a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press it up the sides of the pan. Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork. Bake for 12 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot bring enough water to cover the zucchini to a boil. When the water is at a rolling boil, add the zucchini for just 60 seconds. Drain the zucchini and immediately plunge them into a large bowl of ice water. Drain on a clean kitchen towel. Pat them dry.
- Put a layer of onions on the bottom of the crust. Top with the zucchini, layering them in a spiral pattern. Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Top with the cheese and the cracker crumbs. Tent loosely with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and browned. If necessary you can run it under the broiler at the end for more color.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh thyme.