Aubergine (eggplant) shakshuka
A spicy, garlicky, saucy shakshuka with aubergine (eggplant) that makes a great breakfast, brunch or dinner! Serve with pita bread to soak up the sauce.
- 2 small/medium aubergines (eggplant)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 15 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 400 g tin peeled tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- generous handful of Greek basil leaves, torn basil leaves, or chopped parsley
- pita or crusty bread (to serve)
- Cut the aubergines into 1cm dice. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet and saute the aubergine pieces for a few minutes until the soften and begin to colour. Peel and crush the garlic and add to the aubergines with the cumin, paprika cinnamon and cayenne. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until the spices are toasted and fragrant. Add the tinned tomatoes, stir well, and break up the tomatoes with a spoon. If the sauce seems very thick, add a splash of water to thin down slightly. Cook the sauce for around 15 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and the sauce has darkened. Make four indentations in the sauce with the back of a spoon, and crack an egg into each one. Cover the pan and continue to cook for another 4-6 minutes until the egg whites are cooked - the yolks should still be soft. Scatter over the basil/parsley and serve at once with bread to soak up the sauce.
View the recipe instructions at Family-Friends-Food