Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers
One of my favourite things to cook with black beans is “black bean burgers”. They are packed with spicy flavour and are moist in the inside with a nice crust on the outside.
- 1.25 cup uncooked beans (or 2 cups cooked beans)
- water to soak and cook the beans
- 0.66666666666667 cup breadcrumbs
- 0.25 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- 0.5 cup shredded hard cheese
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 0.25 cup yoghurt
- a small onion
- a small carrot
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 bunch of dill
- 1 tsp sweet red pepper powder (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- 0.5 tsp cumin powder (optional)
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- ( )
- ( )
- olive oil to cook the patties
- Put the black beans in water and let them soak overnight.
- Discard the soaking water, add fresh water and cook the beans until tender (mine needed 1 hour).
- Drain from the water and set aside. You may prepare them in advance and keep in a jar in the fridge up to 2 days.
- Chop the onion and carrot.
- Cook the onion until tender and then add the chopped carrot and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until the mixture comes together but are still some whole beans in the mix.
- Shape into patties and put them in the fridge for half an hour. This step is not a must, but it helps the patties keep their shape better. In case the mixture comes out runny, try to increase a little bit the amount of breadcrumbs. also, if shaping the mixture into patties looks like a big challenge, cook them by adding dollops of mixture into the hot pan, as you do when cooking pancakes.
- Heat olive oil in medium heat on a large pan and cook the patties 4 minutes on each side.