Braaibroodjie is a sweet and delicious grilled cheese sandwich from South Africa. Sweet mango chutney and caramelized onions are used to make this delectable sandwich.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 8 oatmeal or White Sandwich Bread Slices
- as needed Butter (softened)
- 2 tbsp Sweet Mango Chutney (or any other fruit based chutney)
- 1 medium tomato (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup Grated Cheddar Cheese (any other good melting cheese can also be used)
- to taste Salt Pepper
- Heat oil in a pan; add the onions and cook on medium flame, stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelized around the edges. This will take about 12~15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; set aside to cool slightly.
- Butter the bread slices generously and build the sandwiches butter side out.
- On one slice, sprinkle the cheese, top with caramelized onions, tomato slices, salt and pepper, more cheese.
- On the other slice, spread the chutney and place it on top of the other slice. Press lightly and put the sandwich on a grill or a panini press. If using a grill, weigh the sandwich down with a heavy plate or pan and cook for 1~2 minutes. Grill until golden brown, flip and repeat on the other side. Serve right away.