Brussels Sprout Carbonara
The View From the Great Island
Brussels Sprout Carbonara is the classic Italian comfort dish made even better with the addition of my favorite veggie!
- 1 5-ounce package of pancetta (diced)
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts
- 0.75 lb fettuccine pasta
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, or an Italian blend (divided)
- handful of fresh chopped parsley
- lots of fresh cracked black pepper
- Put a big pot of salted water on the stove to boil.
- Thinly slice the green parts of the sprouts, and discard the stems.
- In a large skillet, saute the pancetta until crispy. Add the Brussels sprouts and saute for just a few minutes until the sprouts have turned bright green and have softened a bit.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup beat the eggs well. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- When the pasta is just al dente (usually a minute or two BEFORE the package says so) remove from the pot with tongs directly into the skillet with the sprouts, it's ok if a little of the pasta water gets in there too, it will help make the sauce creamy.
- Toss the pasta with the brussels sprouts and pancetta to combine, and then with the egg mixture, and the reserved 1/2 cup of cheese, making sure to get everything evenly coated. The eggs will cook as you toss the pasta over the heat. Serve asap with the parsley and lots of fresh cracked black pepper.