Butter Basted Halibut with Lemon Braised Baby Vegetables
From a Chef's Kitchen
Butter-Basted Halibut with Lemon-Braised Baby Vegetables is perfect for a spring dinner for two.... Or just for the halibut!
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 large lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons) plus lemon slices for garnish
- 2 scallions, white and light green part only
- 8 baby carrots
- 6 baby red potatoes (quartered)
- 10 baby zucchini
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 handful Italian parsley leaves (about 1/2 cup loosely packed) (rough chopped)
- ½ cup peas, fresh or thawed if frozen
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 (8-ounce) halibut fillets (skin removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil ((divided))
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
- Combine broth and water in a shallow saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add lemon juice, scallion and carrots. Reduce heat to low, cover slightly and cook carrots 8 to 10 minutes or until you can just barely pierce the carrots.
- Add potatoes, cover slightly and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Add zucchini and garlic. Cover slightly and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Stir in thyme, parsley and peas. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Keep warm.
- Generously season halibut on both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the halibut fillets for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Add the butter to the pan and when the butter melts, tilt the skillet toward you to pool the butter.
- With a large soup spoon, begin basting the fish constantly with the bubbling butter for 5 to 6 minutes, returning the pan to a level position over the heat several times to keep the pan evenly hot.
- Let rest for 1 to 2 minutes for carry-over cooking to finish cooking the fish. The fish is cooked through when firm to the touch and easily flakes with a fork. (Exceptionally thick pieces may need a bit of time in a 400-degree oven.)
- Serve over braised vegetables and drizzle with butter from pan if desired.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen