Candy Cane Toffee
The View From the Great Island
Candy Cane Toffee ~ a holiday twist on a classic candy that marries peppermint with buttery toffee!
- about 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped good quality white chocolate,
- Line a 9x9 baking pan with foil, letting the ends overlap the pan so you can lift the toffee out of the pan when set.
- Put the butter and the sugar in a heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Boil gently, stirring all the time, until the mixture comes up to 280 degrees. Be careful it will be very very hot.
- Pour the toffee into the prepared pan, and spread it out evenly.
- Let the toffee sit for 60 seconds, then top it with the chocolate chips. Let them sit for a couple of minutes to melt, and then carefully spread the chocolate over the toffee.
- Top immediately with the crushed candy canes, pressing them into the chocolate gently so they will stick.
- Let the candy set at room temperature for a couple of hours to harden. Then lift it out of the pan, remove the foil, and cut into pieces.