Caramelized Onion & Cheese Bialys Recipe
These caramelized onion and cheese mini Bialys are chewy and delicious. They are great to serve warm but taste amazing toasted with some cream cheese.
- 2 tbsp Lukewarm Water
- 0.17 tsp instant yeast
- ½ cup bread flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup Lukewarm Water
- 1 cups bread flour
- from Above Pate Fermentee
- ½ tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil ((divided))
- 2 medium onions (finely diced)
- ¼ cup Dried Bread crumbs
- ¾ tbsp Poppy seeds
- 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- to taste kosher salt
- Combine all the ingredients for the pâte fermentée in a mixing bowl. Mix until a shaggy dough forms; cover with a plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate the mixture for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Combine the water and flour in a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Next add the pâte fermentée (straight from the fridge -- no need to bring to room temperature), yeast and salt -- mix until all the ingredients are well combined. Add a little more water if needed to make a smooth, pliable dough. Knead for 7 (on mixer) ~ 10 minutes (by hand).
- Transfer the dough to a clean bowl. Cover and set aside for about 1½hours or until doubled in volume.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions just start to brown and have reduced in volume, about 15~20 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl and stir in the bread crumbs, poppy seeds and salt. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Form each piece into a small bun; cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Once all the pieces have turned into buns, proceed in the same order in which the pieces were shaped into balls; flatten each ball with the heel of your hand into a disk about 2" diameter.
- Place the disks on the back of a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1~1½hours.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F for at least 30 minutes.
- Uncover the bialys and using the index and middle fingertips make a depression in the center of each disk of dough. Put about 1tbsp of the filling and a tiny bit of cheese on each bialy.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12~15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes. Serve right away. Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.