Carrot Soup with Ginger and Lime
The View From the Great Island
Carrot Soup with Ginger and Lime, this healthy soup is like a burst of sunshine, with a bright flavor, a cheering color, and an extra dose of beta carotene!
- 3 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1.5 pounds carrots, peeled and rough chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 0.25 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of saffron threads
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 or two limes
- Melt the butter in a soup pot and saute the onion and ginger for 10 minutes, stirring often. Don't let it brown.
- Add the carrots and stock or water. Add the cayenne and saffron. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, cover, and simmer on low for about 20 minutes, or until the carrots are just tender.
- Working in batches, puree the soup until smooth.
- Put back in the rinsed out pot, and reheat. Thin with more stock or water if necessary. Add the lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.