Cauliflower Grits with Gouda Cheese and Blackened Shrimp
From a Chef's Kitchen
Shrimp and grits get a low-carb update in Cauliflower Grits with Gouda Cheese and Blackened Shrimp.
- blackening MIX
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1.5 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cauliflower GRITS
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green part only
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (whipped or regular)
- 4 ounces Gouda cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 cup fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp
- BLACKENING MIX: Combine spice mixture in a small bowl. Set aside.
- CAULIFLOWER GRITS: Process the head of cauliflower through the Oxo Good Grips Spiralizer as shown, then finely chop if necessary. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a shallow saucepan over medium-high heat. Add scallions, reduce heat to medium and cook 1-2 minutes to soften.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Whisk in cream cheese, stirring constantly until cream cheese is incorporated into the broth.
- Add the cauliflower and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring often. (I like them a little less cooked--you may like them cooked more.) Add the Gouda cheese, continuing to stir until the cheese has melted and cauliflower is a creamy consistency. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Stir in parsley and keep warm.
- SHRIMP: Generously coat the shrimp with the blackening mix. Heat olive oil in a cast iron or nonstick pan over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes per side or until firm, being careful not to overcook. Serve grits topped with shrimp.