Chicken Dhal Curry
Fancy a tasty curry in a hurry? This chicken dhal curry is ready in less than an hour and is bursting with fragrant flavours.
- 6 chicken thighs (cut any visible fat off and slice into chunks)
- 100 g uncooked red lentils
- 10 dried curry leaves
- 1 green chilli (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 white onion (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
- 1 inch fresh ginger (grated )
- 1 large cinnamon stick (broken in half)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 400ml can of full-fat coconut milk
- 450 ml water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Heat a deep saucepan over a low heat. Place the red lentils in along with half each of the curry leaves, chilli, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add the cinnamon stick, turmeric, curry powder and salt and give everything a good stir.
- Pour the coconut milk and the water into the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer over a low to medium heat for 10 minutes until the lentils are soft and the mixture is thick. Stir occasionally to prevent it sticking.
- Add the chicken to your mixture, simmer and cover for about 20 minutes.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the coconut oil and add the rest of the remaining curry leaves, chilli, onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for a couple of minutes until the onion browns and the whole mixture is fragrant. Keep stirring at all times. Then tip the mixture into the dhal and give a really good stir.
- The curry should be about ready now, check the chicken is fully cooked. If you prefer your dhal a bit creamier, keep cooking until you have the right consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with basmati rice and chapitis. Enjoy!
View the recipe instructions at Globe Scoffers