Chili Cornbread Pie Casserole
Chili Cornbread Pie Casserole is a healthy and filling one-dish meal! This vegan recipe is loaded hearty chili that gets topped with cornbread and baked.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (finely chopped)
- 1 15oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cups walnuts (chopped fine (I use a food processor))
- 1½ cups water
- 1 15oz. can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15oz. can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup cornmeal or polenta
- ½ cup masa harina
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- Heat the avocado oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin and chipotle chilies. Sautee for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the spices are fragrant. Immediately add in the tomato sauce and stir well to combine.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the chili is simmering, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Stir together all of the cornbread ingredients and set aside.
- Once the chili has simmered, pour it into a casserole 9x12 inch casserole dish (or several smaller dishes). Spoon the cornbread on top and smooth it out in an even layer. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the cornbread has cooked through and the chili is bubbling around the edges. Let sit for 10 minutes to cool slightly and serve.
View the recipe instructions at Catching Seeds