Chili Cornbread Pie Casserole
Chili Cornbread Pie Casserole is a healthy and filling one-dish meal! This vegan recipe is loaded hearty chili that gets topped with cornbread and baked.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (finely chopped)
- 1 15oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cups walnuts (chopped fine (I use a food processor))
- 1½ cups water
- 1 15oz. can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15oz. can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup cornmeal or polenta
- ½ cup masa harina
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- Heat the avocado oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin and chipotle chilies. Sautee for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the spices are fragrant. Immediately add in the tomato sauce and stir well to combine.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the chili is simmering, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Stir together all of the cornbread ingredients and set aside.
- Once the chili has simmered, pour it into a casserole 9x12 inch casserole dish (or several smaller dishes). Spoon the cornbread on top and smooth it out in an even layer. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the cornbread has cooked through and the chili is bubbling around the edges. Let sit for 10 minutes to cool slightly and serve.