Chorizo Kale and Sweet Potato Stew
From a Chef's Kitchen
Chorizo, Kale and Sweet Potato Stew is hearty, nutritious and the perfect warm-up!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh chorizo sausage links
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 1 large bunch kale, tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo links, reduce heat to medium and brown well on all sides. Transfer to a baking sheet and finish in the oven for 10 minutes. Let cool to the touch, then slice into small rounds. (It's okay if not 100% cooked, it will finish in the stew. You just want to be able to slice it easily.)
- Refresh oil in pot if needed. Add the onion and peppers and cook 7-8 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic, paprika, curry powder and cayenne and cook briefly, approximately 15 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sweet potatoes and sliced chorizo. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are almost tender. Add the kale and cook 5 more minutes until wilted. Add the vinegar and season to taste with salt and black pepper.