Courgette and Lemon Loaf Cake with Maple Icing
Who said veggies had to be boring? This courgette (zucchini) and lemon cake is so moist and tastes absolutely delicious!
- 110 g courgette/zucchini (grated )
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- 60 ml sunflower oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 lemon zest
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 125 g low fat cream cheese
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp pistachios (lightly crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / fan 160°C / gas 4. Line and grease an 18cm by 8cm loaf tin.
- Finely grate the courgette, then squeeze out as much liquid as you can with your hands. Too much liquid left in could make the cake soggy.
- Stir the courgette in with sugar, sunflower oil, egg, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until they disappear, don't overmix.
- The mixture should be quite thick and sticky. Scrape it into the prepared tin and cook for 45 minutes. Check your cake is cooked by inserting a metal skewer into the centre, which should come out clean.
- Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a metal rack.
- Once the cake has completely cooled down, you can make your icing. In an electric mixer cream the low-fat cheese for a few minutes until it becomes soft. Add the maple syrup and icing sugar. The icing will be quite runny, this fine though it adds to the rustic look.
- Carefully spoon the icing on to the loaf cake and allow to drip down the sides. Sprinkle your crushed pistachios along the centre.
- Help yourself to a large piece for an afternoon treat. Enjoy!