Cream of Green Vegetable Soup
From a Chef's Kitchen
Not your momma's cream soup! Cream of Green Vegetable Soup is loaded with "super" vegetables with just a touch of cream!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts,
- 2 large broccoli crowns, coarsely chopped
- 1 large bunch curly green kale, stems removed, coarsely chopped (approximately four cups tightly packe
- 1 bag (9-ounce) baby spinach
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- cream, yogurt or sour cream for "swirling"
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery, reduce heat to medium and cook 5-7 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and the cubed potato and saute briefly or just until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and kale. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender. Add the spinach and cook briefly or until it is wilted.
- Add the heavy cream. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth or CAREFULLY in batches in a food processor or blender. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- To serve, swirl in some additional cream, yogurt or sour cream.